Re: [ARSCLIST] digital recording

True, laptops are convenient; anything miniaturized is difficult to
maintain hardware-wise - this I learnt the hard way with my great
friend and companion throughout my teenage years: my Sony Pro Walkman.
I myself do not own a laptop.

I have worked on both IBM and Mac systems - put together custom IBMs
from parts; de-bug the Macs that have broken down for one reason or
another (usually software, or not using the apple utility to format the
hard drive, or other strange and amazingly weird things people did in
their extensions folder (OS9) - sometimes hardware problems, of course)
- started working on these things when I was 16 with the Atari
520ST...when it comes down to less grief ITO operating system
maintenance - Macs just win hands down. All computers require
meticulousness, and to only install what software is necessary for the
primary application you intend the machine for...What really amazed me
recently, was that I bought My Very Own New Mac, plugged in the
peripherals, and they worked! I tell my friends and colleagues, that I
was so amazed that I reformatted the drive, re-installed the OS, and
got my protools up and running in sync with picture (using a DV box)
flawlessly, probably in somewhere around three hours time - quickly
anyway...With the IBMs, there were always conflicts, and new updated
drivers that had to be downloaded, and to keep everything clean - oh
for the number of times I've tried to install some software and that
made a mess for no good reason I could see: and you can imagine what
that does to us careful souls who are so protective of our computers
getting gummed up...it's not just my experience...seems it's quite
common...I'm ready to do one of those Mac "Switch" ads: if you know
anyone at Apple, give 'em my e-mail, will ya, and let's go :)

Best,

Alyssa.