Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

Mike Richter wrote:

> At 07:38 AM 6/26/2003 -0700, Jerome Hartke wrote:
> >Although the Red Book CD-DA has two levels of error correction using a
> >cross-interleave Reed-Solomon code, an additional safeguard against
> >degradation is available using CD-ROM Mode 1. This format adds a
> >powerful, third level of error correction using a Reed-Solomon product
> >code. (This third level is not available in CD-ROM Mode 2.)
> >
> >Although use of Mode 1 requires conversion of audio to WAV or other
> >formats in order to obtain files, the additional effort should be
> >mandatory for archival purposes. In addition, use ISO 9660 Level 1
> >volume and file structure, and disc-at-once recording. These options
> >should be selectable in any professional grade recording software
> >programs.
> >
> >Of course, media and recording drive quality are also very important.
>
> I agree completely on the need to archive as data and to take advantage of
> the extra level of error correction, but note that that is also available
> in Mode 2 Form 1. I know of no reason to prefer that to Mode 1, but it is
> available and does provide the additional protection.
>
> Mike
> mrichter@xxxxxxx
> http://www.mrichter.com/

CD-ROM XA Mode 2/Form 1 does offer the same levels of error correction
as CD-ROM Mode 1, but is not as compatible. Its intent is for
interleaved multimedia applications where multiple extents of
audio/video/graphics/ data files are interleaved. In many cases,
real-time XA requirements place special demands on hardware and
software.

Since archival requirements include a concern regarding the long-term
availability of playback equipment, simplest is best. Thus the strong
preference for CD-ROM Mode 1. Note that CD-ROM Mode 2 is very different
from CD-ROM XA Mode 2/Forms 1 & 2.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.