Re: [ARSCLIST] Long-term/preservation audio

Chris,

"permanent digital archive" is a shorthand for a managed archive. Sorry, I
should have been more specific. Permanence is acheived by migration when
necessary.

When I refer to this, I refer to files in a managed, long-term storage
situation. Some third-party suppliers are starting to provide this as a
service.

I doubt we'll have much trouble reading WAV files in 100 years. They may be
laughed at, but it won't be a problem, I suspect.

Also, when I was referring to CDs, I was referring to red book audio CDs.
That is the pervasive, common denominator.

I'm seeing archives of oral history waste away--I'm managing to personally
help salvage two--I wonder how many more are out there.

One of them had the funding to also transfer to reel (38 hours) and I am
doing that. The other, with a worse problem, is struggling. They have 3000
hours.

I see how hard it is for many people today to get good playback from analog
tapes. Yes, someone like you and me will be around in 100 years to struggle
through playing analog tapes, but it won't be the norm, and it won't be
worth the cost in many instances.

Perhaps my view is skewed, but many of the archives worth saving are, at
the best, good cassette quality. Certainly there are some recordings which
deserve more than red book CD, but many of the archives out there that
provide a snapshot of our world--our voices, our sounds, our thoughts, our
inflections--are seriously not even Nakamichi cassette quality.

We're not talking Metropolitan Opera or Chicago Symphony for most of these
archives, but the cultural significance is no less important.

Perhaps people will want to transfer red book CDs into a permanent digital
archive or some other storage medium in 25-50 years and that is fine. I
don't think the 3,000 tape archive would be around then.

By the way, to put this in perspective. The record machines for the vast
bulk of the 3,000 reels were Wollensaks at 3.75 in/s. Please, will someone
tell me how this audio quality will be hurt at 44.1ks/s, 16 bit? We're
playing these 3,000 tapes on a Studer A807 and recording them onto two Sony
CDR-W33s.

Yes, there is a broad spectrum, but with the generational loss of analog
recordings, we can't go too many generations without serious degradation.
Capturing the sound to digital freezes the losses now.

With the challenges of getting good people to play analog tapes, I cannot
imagine the challenges of getting them to record them as well as possible.
I know some very good analog tape people. I don't see many around.

I'm not advocating destruction of master reels. If a better
playback/encoding scheme is around in the future, the transfers can be done
then.

I see overlapping curves as analog reproduction quality falls and digital
capture quality increases. The trick is to pick a time where the analog
reproduction quality hasn't fallen substantially and the digital capture is
starting to plateau out.

I think you're aware of a major west coast archive on a fishing expedition
to see how much it would cost to transfer 4000 or so assets to files. In
fact, in your day job, I suspect you bid on it, and I wish you well. They
were not requesting analog safeties as I recall it. I think their head is
in the right place.

As I said it's my opinion. You certainly are entitled to yours. I hope
we're not getting into an analog/digital debate, but to me the path is so
clear for the vast majority of archives...but in case I'm wrong, keep the
original reel masters, too.

Cheers,

Richard