Re: [ARSCLIST] Growing things...

Graham:

We usually find that a substantial amount of mold growth on tape boxes
indicates there is likely to be some mold growth on the tape, as well.

Two methods that are effective at killing mold on tape are ozone and
1,1,1,-Trichloroethane.  I have no idea what these would do to paper.

Ozone treatment has been used for a long time in the computer industry.  It
can kill the mold but does have long-term effects on the stability of tape
polymers.  Since the emphasis, when it was used in the computer industry,
was just to kill the mold and make a copy, there was no real concern with
the long-term effects on the tape.

1,1,1-Trichlor kills the mold and is non-reactive to the polymers in either
the base or binder of polyester tapes- thus it has no long-term effects on
polyester-base tape stability.  One must be very careful with its
application, however, since it will destroy acetate, dissolve splices and
will melt many plastic cassettes and reels.  It is also a restricted
substance as it is an ozone depleting chemical.

If Javex is chlorine, it should not be used on the tape itself.  Chlorine is
highly reactive with the polymers in polyester tape.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(201) 440-6589
www.specsbros.com

Celebrating 20 Years of Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service