Re: [ARSCLIST] CD-R hub labels...

By putting the adhesive label on the hub you are less likely to experience
balance and warping problems.  Also, delamination of the top layers is
unlikely as well unless you overlap onto the lacquered area of the disc.
However, as you know adhesive labels are not recommended for maximum
longevity.   Over time, aging of the label leading to oozing of adhesive,
partial lifting of the label, and possible chemical reactions between the
label components and disc can cause problems.  Therefore, for short-term
use this type of label is less problematic than labels that cover the whole
disc, but I would stay away from them if you want to maximize your disc
lifetime.

Joe Iraci
Conservation Scientist
Canadian Conservation Institute

                      andy kolovos
                      <akolovos@VERMONTFOLKLIFE        To:       ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                      CENTER.ORG>                      cc:
                      Sent by: Association for         Subject:  [ARSCLIST] CD-R hub labels...
                      Recorded Sound Discussion
                      List <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx>

                      07/05/2003 02:11 PM
                      Please respond to
                      Association for Recorded
                      Sound Discussion List

ARSC-Folks,

Anyone have an experience using those tiny labels that adhere to the
plastic inner hub of CD-Rs?  Writing on the hubs--which is ok for in-house
stuff but still kind of a pain in the neck--is a real pain when creating
CD-R copies of materials to go out to researchers, and looks pretty bad
when making copies for people who have ordered recordings from the archive.
While I'm inclined just to buy a CD-Stomper sort of thing for labeling
copies of ordered materials, I'd rather legibly type info on to a hub label
for in-house use (as opposed to master) copies and copies made for
researchers who donate their materials to us.

The labels I'm talking about in particular are Gaylord item# DY-249CL.

http://www.gaylordmart.com/adblock.asp?abid=88&sid=0EBA8076E92A454381FBE8BF0

009B2&search_by=desc&search_for=cd%20label

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

Andy Kolovos