[ARSCLIST] ARSC Conference Friday night walking tour

This message is for those who are planning to attend the ARSC Conference in Philly at the end of this month.  I am posting it on multiple lists.

In an effort to give attendees to the Conference a chance to see other areas of Philadelphia and make the most of their visit here, I have offered to organize an evening tour of the Historic District on the Friday Night of the Conference (May 30th). I realize it's short notice but I had to feel out the best method. This is not an ARSC sponsored event. It is, however open to all.

I have contacted and reserved a tour guide from the Philadelphia Walks program which runs regularly scheduled walking tours. By organizing the group the tour can be timed for us. So here is the plan:

The tour of the Historic District including Independence National Park, Olde City, and Society Hill will begin at 6pm and last about 2 hours. The area covered is only about 20 square blocks and there is time to sit. Because of the hour it will be all outside and it will be rain or shine (bring umbrella). The tour cost (what Philadelphia Walks charges) is $10.00 per person. The group will be limited to 25 people.

The tour will start at the Liberty Bell at 5th and Market Street. This is easily accessible from the Penn Campus by the subway for $2.60 RT with tokens. I will escort the group from Penn to the starting point or you can take a cab. After the tour I will guide the group to the South Street area where you can indulge in a cheesesteak or dine at other fun restaurants (this is the happening place). There are about 7 used record stores (vinyl and CDs) and great used book store also. Getting back to campus or hotel by Bus is easy.

In order for this to work easily, I need to know who wants to go on the tour. I am posting this on various lists but I know some registrants are not on email so I will announce it on Thursday morning of the Conference and must have final number and payment by noon that day.

So, if you want to go, please email me by Friday night, May 9th so I can get an approximate number to inform the guide.

If you have any questions, just ask.

Please use the following email address to respond: Stevenramm@xxxxxxxx DO NOT reply to the newsgroup.

I'm looking forward to having you all enjoy my City and hope you'll find new experiences at the Conference.

Steve Ramm
ARSC Treasurer and Philly Resident.