Re: [ARSCLIST] Retro Vinyl CDs

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Mike Richter contributed:

----- Please, is it a reduced version of the look of a 45, i.e. 17 cm reduced to 12 cm, or is it only the label area, full size, with a full size blank where the large centre hole used to be?

> Information should be available at Verbatim's WWW site.

----- Yes, this is the blurb; no dimensions given:

"Combining a retro look with the rugged quality and high-performance of today’s CD-R technology, Verbatim introduces Digital Vinyl CD-R, a recordable disc designed after the popular and groovy 45-rpm record format. These eye-catching discs are a great way to save delicate LP [sic and sick] collections, burn your personal music mix or make a standout business presentation. The color-coded discs use Verbatim’s original Azo Blue technology for superior audio writing performance on CD burners and broad read compatibility on car CD players, home audio systems and portable CD players. Digital Vinyl CD-R’s are protected with a dual-layer anti-scratch coating that safeguards data for years to come and are backed by Verbatim’s Lifetime Warranty. So grab a blast from the past – Verbatim Digital Vinyl CD-R. "

>  In any event, I cannot see confusion between blank CD media and
>  pressed recordings on shellac, vinyl or polycarbonate.

----- I can see confusion indeed, because I do not know any mechanical recordings actually pressed in polycarbonate. However, pressing in polycarbonate is a part of the ordinary Audio CD manufacture (and actually the wobble track in CD-R is pressed too). Incidentally, as a gimmick, I have cut 78 rpm grooves in the outer parts of the clear side of a CD-R, giving me a maximum of 90 seconds of sound, while the CD-R contains the same selection as an only track in a digital form. Using 33 1/3 rpm and 400 grooves to the inch would give quite a self-contained archival medium: when the digital part of the CD-R breaks down after the 361 (or whatever) years, we still have the mechanical version to play.

Kind regards,

George