From: Aaron Z Snyder [mailto:aaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 04 March 2003 15:11
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Peeling Lacquers

I was disappointed to see on "Save Our Sounds" that the Library of Congress
considers peeling and flaking lacquers irreparable. I have one such disk,
and was hoping that the prognosis was more positive.

I figure that if anyone knows the definitive answer(s), it must be one or
more of the members of this group. Is a peeling/flaking lacquer disk truly
irreparable? Are there any optical methods of retrieving the audio
information from these disks?

Any responses, including negative ones, will be *greatly* appreciated.

Aaron Z Snyder
14 HEATHWOOD LN
CHESTNUT HILL MA 02467-2685 US
Tel: +1 617 232-6224   Fax +1 617 731-2272

Free exhibition at the British Library Galleries :

Magic Pencil : Children's Book Illustration Today (to 31 March) original
graphic work of 13 contemporary artists

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the
postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or
copied without the sender's consent.

author and do not necessarily reflect those of the British Library. The
British Library does not take any responsibility for the views of the
author.