Re: [ARSCLIST] Peeling Lacquers

On 4 Mar 2003 at 17:32, Bewley, Nigel wrote:

> If the disc has lost sections of its lacquer then clearly the disc is
> irreparable in that sections of the sound have been physically lost.
> I don't think that even the best interpolative restoration software
> will cope with areas of bare metal!  I have 'glued' sections of
> peeling lacquer back with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) and even low tack
> sticky tape where the peel is adjacent to the run-in or the run-out.
> "Needs must when the devil drives..."

That is indeed the name of the game sometimes.  We have even
used hand lotion, few or many drops, to provide some adhesion
which still (unlike a real glue) provides the ability to move the
lacquer chunks slightly if necessary for realigning the grooves.  At
this point, the disc is otherwise lost, so one uses whatever works to
accomplish retrieval of the sound.

Susan T Stinson, Curator
Belfer Audio Laboratory and Archive
Syracuse University Library
222 Waverly Ave., Syracuse, NY 13244-2010
315-443-3477    FAX 315-443-4866