Re: [ARSCLIST] Peeling Lacquers

The lacquer is simply a protective coating against physical and chemical
damage. If the metal layer is still present, then the disc should be
readable and the information should be transferred at once to a good
disc. If the metal layer came off as well, then it might be possible to
find a CD-ROM manufacturer willing to remetallize and recoat the disc
provided that the actual information is still present. This should be
achievable if the disc is a molded replica. If it is a CD-R, then the
dye layer may be damaged.

Best to qualify media in advance to ensure that this problem will not
occur. Media Sciences conducts such longevity tests, and rarely
encounters such a problem. Longevity issues are discussed on our web
site: http://www.mscience.com/pub.html

J. Hartke
Media Sciences, Inc.