Re: arsclist Cataloging

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

A lot of you have written about cataloguing, principles and
philosophies, and practical matters. Nobody indicates having read
the IASA Cataloguing rules, and I propose that that could be a
suitable framework. In other words, read the f. manual!

In connection with my analysis of the total information content of
e.g. a shellac pressing, I also adapted a programme for having all
fields searchable, in which the output format would be defined as a
"report", ordered any way you wanted. I found out that entering the
data would take 3-4 minutes per side, and many think that life is
too short for that. That was the rationale behind the Rigler-Deutsch
index which used photographs of labels (alas, no label-surround
matrix information, because there was no skewed light) and farmed
the actual typing out to unskilled labour.

The time spent on retrieval is the sum of the time spent on
recording information and the time used for searching. If enormous
masses of material comes in, but the need for quick access is
never huge - say 4 hours response time, then minimal cataloguing
and correspondingly long manual searching time would still be
economic. Very few systems are designed that way.

Kind regards,

George
-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html