Re: arsclist Cataloging

Not really.

All fields of the MARC record _can_ be searchable.  It depends on the
indexing and software used by a given institution to select whether and
how to make any given field searchable.

That being said, a given cataloger may or may not have included all the
data you want in the MARC record.  Cataloging levels vary from
institution to institution, and from cataloger to cataloger.

Jeanette

>>> smolians@xxxxxxxxx 12/13/02 11:20AM >>>
Library vs private.

It is my understanding that some fields in the MARC cataloging system
are
not searchable, which means the desired data is there but not
independently
serarchable.

We might begin with what info libraries want and what collectors want.
list of fields (non-MARC) from each group might be a useful start.

The argument about cataloging not being discoraphic holds no water with
me-
the computer can accomodate it.  Why leave important stuff out?

Steve