arsclist MARC cataloging

Steve Smolian writes:

<Library vs private.
<
<It is my understanding that some fields in the MARC cataloging system are
<not searchable, which means the desired data is there but not
independently
<searchable.
<
<We might begin with what info libraries want and what collectors want.  A
<list of fields (non-MARC) from each group might be a useful start.
<
<The argument about cataloging not being discographic holds no water with
me-
<the computer can accommodate it.  Why leave important stuff out?
<
<Steve
<