Re: arsclist RE: 78 Rpm Record Spindle Holes

From: Patent Tactics, George Brock-Nannestad

Parker Dinkins wrote:

> It may just be us, but we drill out holes in 78s when necessary. This
> has the additional advantage of being able to center the disks better.
> It doesn't take long to do this.

----- no, but it permanently destroys any information relating to the
original generation of that hole in the record press. That information
may be combined with other information from the physical object
"the record" to identify it in comparison with other, similar records.
An archivist or museologist should never tamper with the physical
condition of an object, if it is not justified by being the only way to
avoid damage to the object. Amateurs may obviously do what they
want with their possessions.

----- Graham Newton has some feeling for this, but just for replay it
is not justified:

> or bore the center hole of the offending disc with a tapered
> reamer as a last resort.

Parker Dinkins again:

> Negative metal parts like stampers are often **way** off center, >
and  it helps to open the holes to center them individually.

----- metal parts are whole different story, and that goes for
negatives (original negatives as well as stampers) and positives
(mothers). The reason is that they are often dish-shaped and very
difficult to make to lie flat (in particular if they are made of pure
nickel). This goes for 78rpm metals - LPs are much more well-
behaved. In copper (silvered or chromed) mothers there may be
soldered a washer at the center on the reverse for an electrical
connection, and you really need that to be below the turntable mat
plane. Because metal parts are so much rarer than pressed
records they would probably not be used by future researchers to
identify particular plating processes, unless the archive were one of
the great recording companies where the metals are still available
in great numbers. So, the justification in drilling would be in the
need to keep the disc flat.

It is amazing to see a completely new archival turntable emerge
from the remains of an old Technics. Its like making a dune buggy
out of an old bug. Could we have some rumble measurements,
please?

Kind regards,

George
-