Re: arsclist RE: 78 Rpm Record Spindle Holes

on 11/21/02 7:33 PM, Audio101 wrote:

> I want to make a product that archivist will find useful and yet be
> reasonably priced. Speak up now, would 249.95 be too expensive if we
> could machine the shaft completely flat with the platter and then have a
> piece that would slip into the shaft for normal records? I could offer
> this as an option.

Dave -

It may just be us, but we drill out holes in 78s when necessary. This has
the additional advantage of being able to center the disks better. Negative
metal parts like stampers are often **way** off center, and it helps to open
the holes to center them individually.

It doesn't take long to do this.

Btw, we are getting a steady signal at +/- 17.7kHz on our SP-15 via the
phono cartridge - it's probably part of the quartz/motor drive speed servo
circuits. It's not audible at the levels it occurs, but it would be more
assuring if it were eliminated with shielding or filtering. We've been able
to notch it out with a Weiss EQ1-LP.

Later. Parker

---
Parker Dinkins