Re: arsclist RE: 78 Rpm Record Spindle Holes

on 11/22/02 4:02 AM, George Brock-Nannestad wrote:

> Parker Dinkins wrote:
>>
>> It may just be us, but we drill out holes in 78s when necessary. This
>> has the additional advantage of being able to center the disks better.
>> It doesn't take long to do this.
>
> ----- no, but it permanently destroys any information relating to the
> original generation of that hole in the record press. That information
> may be combined with other information from the physical object
> "the record" to identify it in comparison with other, similar records.
> An archivist or museologist should never tamper with the physical
> condition of an object, if it is not justified by being the only way to
> avoid damage to the object. Amateurs may obviously do what they
> want with their possessions.

Well, let's back up a bit: we've done it at the specific direction of the
producer who was present and asked us to, and never on pressed 78s. While I
understand the worthy reservations an archivist or museologist may have with
drilling disks that have collection value, the point is that drilling or
drilling open a center hole may be the best practice for some people - on
some disks - some of the time.

> Parker Dinkins again:
>
>> Negative metal parts like stampers are often **way** off center, >
> and  it helps to open the holes to center them individually.
>
> ----- metal parts are whole different story, and that goes for
> negatives (original negatives as well as stampers) and positives
> (mothers). The reason is that they are often dish-shaped and very
> difficult to make to lie flat (in particular if they are made of pure
> nickel). This goes for 78rpm metals - LPs are much more well-
> behaved. In copper (silvered or chromed) mothers there may be
> soldered a washer at the center on the reverse for an electrical
> connection, and you really need that to be below the turntable mat
> plane. Because metal parts are so much rarer than pressed
> records they would probably not be used by future researchers to
> identify particular plating processes, unless the archive were one of
> the great recording companies where the metals are still available
> in great numbers. So, the justification in drilling would be in the
> need to keep the disc flat.
>
> It is amazing to see a completely new archival turntable emerge
> from the remains of an old Technics. Its like making a dune buggy
> out of an old bug. Could we have some rumble measurements,
> please?

I'd like that too.

---
Parker Dinkins