Re: arsclist Tubes will not die

At 09:50 AM 11/18/2002 +0000, Don Cox wrote:
However, this is a very different application from transferring archive
recordings, where what you want is accuracy rather than a punchy sound
out of the speakers.

I fear that I am missing something of significance here.

This thread has seemed to me to be off-topic - however interesting - from the beginning. That is not intended to be a complaint or a plea to return to our "proper" domain, but it is intended to say that issues such as amplifier type, speaker design and listening-room acoustics are peripheral to archiving. They enter only with respect to the archivist's judgement on matters such as equalization, but even there are less than critical. The key issue in equalization is the judgement of the archivist/engineer. That judgement includes choice of reproduction equipment, but it begins and ends with listening skills.

It is as though we were commenting on an instrumental recital and judging it by the choice of instrument.: a Fender or a Gibson; a Bechstein or a Steinway. Yes, that does contribute to the overall effect, and yes, it does reflect the artist's taste, but it is peripheral to the question of how well the program was selected and performed.

Mike mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/