Re: arsclist Tubes will not die

On 18-Nov-02, Mike Richter wrote:

> It is as though we were commenting on an instrumental recital and
> judging it by the choice of instrument.: a Fender or a Gibson; a
> Bechstein or a Steinway. Yes, that does contribute to the overall
> effect, and yes, it does reflect the artist's taste, but it is
> peripheral to the question of how well the program was selected and
> performed.

A typical real life question might be: I have a tape recorded in the
1950s. Should I try to tranfer it using a model of recorder with tubes,
as near as possible to the one it was recorded on, or a more recent
solid-state model?

Both Philips (Mercury) and RCA elected to use the original recorders
when transferring historic tapes to CD.

It isn't an easy question to answer, because you can't put your ear to
the tape to hear what it "really" sounds like.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx