arsclist Hum (formerly tubes)

With any professional audio preservation system, I strongly believe there
are two foundation steps:  a clean power source and a clear grounding
system.  Everything else comes later.

The power source is up to you and your electrician.    Much depends on how
much power you expect to be using.  Thirty amps is reasonable, with
dedicated outlets that bypass everything else electric in your building and
go directly to the box.  Of course, your electrician will suggest ways of
dealing with such incidental events as lighting strikes.  The ideal
situation is to run all grounds to a ground spike but being able to
legitimately do so depends on local building codes.  There are adequate, if
slighty less ideal, compromises.

If he can't supply clean power due to the way the building is
wired/constructed,  then there are various devices that come close.  They
run from c. $ 1,000 to $ 5,000 and are among the best insurance you'll ever
buy.

There are studio grounding experts in every city.  I found mine through my
pro audio shop.  Manny's can probably put you in touch with one.  These guys
are slow and careful, and the hours can mount up, but you'll have a sense of
assurace operating your studio thereafter, like driving after a new tune-up.
Standard rate down here in the DC/Baltimore area is $ 35 or so per hour.

These are the two most important corners not to cut.

If you then have hum, you'll know for sure that it comes from a piece of
your equipment.

Steve Smolian

Steven Smolian    301-694-5134
Smolian Sound Studios