arsclist Re: (I surely hope) Tubes will not die

>----- Since I wrote that piece I have been increasingly forgiving when
>it comes to choose between a bad copy or no copy at all. If a bad
>copy is all that is left, then the bad copy is the preservation copy of
>the sonic event in question. The Brahms cylinder is a prime
>example of a very crippled recording still serving as a glimpse of a
>performance.

I am doing my best not to make bad copies. I am curious about how to adjust
azimuth for optimum playback. Is this an issue with mono 1/2 track tapes?
how do I know if the azimuth is correct for the tape I'm playing? I'm very
leery of changing the azimuth of the machine, which sounds fine to me. I
mostly am dealing with 1/2 track mono material, but there is a portion of
the collection which is (mostly) mono tapes re-recorded to stereo. Should I
adjust each tape's azimuth or shold I just take the best-recorded channel
and mult it to both recording channels..
    Also I would welcome some discussion of power conditioners. I am unhappy
with the noise floor of my system, and would welcome any recommendations on
providing clean power on a limited budget. I work with what I've got and try
to do the best I can. I would love to have better converters, but it just
ain't in the budget.

-Matt Sohn
Audio Preservationist
Louis Armstrong House and Archives