Re: arsclist Assistance for Armenian Ethnomusicology Archive

Graeme wrote:
> I think the point which Joav was trying to make - that, for the
> younger generation of engineers coming into the business, analogue
> tape recordings represent something of a 'black art' - should be
> seriously taken and we should not be so dismissive of the issues that
> can arise.  One persons 'minor issue' could be another's major
> problem.

Thanks,
I guess not being a native English speaker (me) has it's limitations!

It seems that we could service a lot of the lady's and ASC needs out of
Israel. Geographically we
are at 2.5 hours air flight from Albania, our electric system is essentially
the same (220Vac/50Hz), we have all the German/Swiss/Dutch/Japanese
portables and offcourse Studer studio decks and several Otari MTR12s around
if required - the technical aspects are all covered. Our lab does a lot of
restoration and digitizing for European clients and we are used to this
region rock bottom pricing too.

The funding of such a project is another issue that have to be resolved. I
see several interesting suggestions being made on the list. Several projects
in this region of the world were/are done utilizing large US universities
funding or privet donors.

Tapes could be shuttled back and forth between the ASC and our lab or we
could set up a shop in Albania for the duration of the
project. List members are welcomed! This could and should be a team effort
with a lot of interest.

I see no Italian or Austrian list members but they should be equally
equipped and even better geographically positioned.

Joav Shdema
Producer / Engineer