Re: arsclist Assistance for Armenian Ethnomusicology Archive

Mike Richter and I find ourselves on the same side of this issue, I think.

The bulk of my transfers are done to CD-R and are done outside of a computer by using (specifically) Sony CDR-W33 stand-alone audio recorders that (despite some material to the contrary) do NOT require audio-only blank discs. I have two of them and make two transfers simultaneously.

I have long stated that the most difficult part of the transfer is proper analog reproduction.

Let me repeat:

The most difficult part of the transfer is obtaining proper analog reproduction.

Knowing record head azimuth, and, by implication, setting reproduce head azimuth are crucial in obtaining good, clean transfers.

While I hate to sound like a snob, there is probably no better reproducer for cassettes than a Nakamichi Dragon. Service and parts might be impossible in Armenia, but are still easy in the U.S., with a Nakamichi Factory-authorized depot in Long Beach, CA. I can vouch for their capabilities. Why this deck is attractive is that it's the only non-automotive cassette deck that sets the reproduce head azimuth based on the cassette in the machine. And IT WORKS!

Also, again not wanting to sound like a snob, a high-end pro reel deck and someone who understands how to use it is crucial to the quality of the reel transfer. There are many fine decks out there, but I have found, when available in good condition, nothing beats the price/performance points of Sony APR-5000s. I have now purchased six of them and have not spent more than $500 for any single one, including two recent purchases of almost unused units. I also have a Studer A810 coming to me--as a gift from a generous benefactor.

These machines can be found at fire sale prices.

One of the important items is to make sure that the heads match the tape.
A 4-channel 1/4-inch throwaway (but gentle) machine can tell more about what's on a tape quicker than any other method that I'm aware of. I have the luxury of an Otari MTR-10 4ch in this application, but there are other Sony, Teac, and Otari machines that are smaller and could be used.

As to the details of discs, I'll leave that to others, but certainly they present their own series of challenges.

I think I could teach a knowledgeable, willing-to-learn, English-speaking engineer what they need to understand about analog tape reproduction in less than a week. I would expect that person to bounce other non-mainstream challenges off me via email later. While I'm not volunteering to do that, I'm trying to make the point that it's a learnable skill.

I think I've addressed some other options in another email.

This is important stuff.

Cheers,

Richard

Richard L. Hess richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Glendale, CA USA http://www.richardhess.com/ Web page: folk and church music, photography, and broadcast engineering