Re: arsclist Assistance for Armenian Ethnomusicology Archive

At 09:31 AM 10/29/2002 +0200, Joav Shdema wrote:
<<Equalization is a minor issue

So we agree that for some everything is a minor issue, from electricity to
playback EQ. But for those who have never handled tapes before or used to do
so on a daily basis these are all major issues. What we take for granted is
a major PITA and a source of scare for others, I am sure. Operator who is
used to recorders can manipulate the medium in such ways that it works out
fine in any event but this is not true for anybody these days as in days of
the past.
I agree that any enthusiast can educate him/her self in that direction and
become proficient in this field too.

Forgive my abbreviated response.

A professional recorder - which would be needed to track uncertain speed as discussed previously - will provide the equalization choice. Even if not, sufficient EQ for a field recording can be accomplished with an analogue preamp as well as with a digital editor. Compared with the other issues discussed, EQ is a minor issue.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/