Re: arsclist Assistance for Armenian Ethnomusicology Archive

Hi Mike,

Tuesday, October 29, 2002, 8:48:18 AM, you wrote:

MR> At 09:31 AM 10/29/2002 +0200, Joav Shdema wrote:
>>What we take for granted is a major PITA and a source of scare for
>>others, I am sure. Operator who is used to recorders can manipulate
>>the medium in such ways that it works out fine in any event but this
>>is not true for anybody these days as in days of the past.

MR> Compared with the other issues discussed, EQ is a minor issue.

I think the point which Joav was trying to make - that, for the
younger generation of engineers coming into the business, analogue
tape recordings represent something of a 'black art' - should be
seriously taken and we should not be so dismissive of the issues that
can arise.  One persons 'minor issue' could be another's major
problem.

Someone bought up on a diet of digital this, that and everything else
will have little, if any, knowledge of the differences between the NAB
and IEC curves. They will likely not even know how to line-up a tape
machine and (probably) have no access to alignment tapes, etc.  They
will know little, if anything, about azimuth alignment or, as in the
case under discussion, almost certainly, misalignment - nevermind the
more arcane mechanical adjustments needed to keep a tape transport
functioning at its optimum level.

Those of us who have worked with tape for many years know and
understand the medium and its many quirks, but things which we might
consider second nature will be a total mystery to others. Very much a
case of familiarity breeding contempt, I'm afraid.

Once the material is in the digital domain, they will have no
problems.  Getting it there, accurately and faithfully, is another
question entirely.

Graeme Jaye

GRJAYE@xxxxxxxx

Audio Restoration and CD Repair