arsclist Re: Convection oven and CD player recommendations

Matthew Sohn
Audio Preservationist
Louis Armstrong House and Archives
mahatma@xxxxxx
Matt Sohn wrote:

> I am looking to buy an inexpensive convection oven for baking tapes. My trip
> to PC Richards yesterday was less than fruitful.
Look for the FD-50-T made by American Harvest.  This is the one with the
digital timer in it, NOT the one with the adjustable wheel temperature
control pictured on their website.  You may have to order it as parts to
make up the whole unit.  Get the adjustable "convert-a-tray" kit for it also.
It is by far, the best and cheapest device that appears almost designed
for the job of baking tape.  Look at these links for details:-

http://www.nesco.com/products/product.phtml?id=39&category=300

http://www.nesco.com/products/product.phtml?&prodid=33

> Also in the search for a simple single-well CD player for our reading room,
> it has proved exceedingly difficult to find manufacturers who even make such
> a beast anymore, everything is either multi-cd, or CD/DVD. The archivist is
> unwilling to consider a used machine and wants something that will stand up
> to heavy use, but without all the bells and whistles.
Marantz makes a professional CD player, the model PMD-321, which would be
excellent for the purpose.  There is a lesser, cheaper, similar model PMD-320
that does not have the XLR outputs that the PMD-321 has, and may have other
limits.

http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/PMD321.html

http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/PMD320.html

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.
-