Re: arsclist Re: Convection oven and CD player recommendations

> > Also in the search for a simple single-well CD player for our reading room,
> > it has proved exceedingly difficult to find manufacturers who even make such
> > a beast anymore, everything is either multi-cd, or CD/DVD. The archivist is
> > unwilling to consider a used machine and wants something that will stand up
> > to heavy use, but without all the bells and whistles.
> Marantz makes a professional CD player, the model PMD-321, which would be
> excellent for the purpose.  There is a lesser, cheaper, similar model PMD-320
> that does not have the XLR outputs that the PMD-321 has, and may have other
> limits.

Perhaps for a reading room environment, listeners will be using headphones, in
which case you will probably want a CD player with headphone attenuation.  I don't
believe the Marantz units have attenuation for the headphone output (just a jack
with no attenuation), but most all of  the Sony units do . In a reading room you
will probably not need XLR outputs anyway.  Crutchfield is another good place to
shop.

--Jeff
Jeff Carroll
Audio Preservation & Restoration Engineer
Southern Folklife Collection
Manuscripts Department
Ph.(919) 962-1345   Fax (919) 962-3594