Re: arsclist Digital knowledge preservation

Don Cox wrote:

> On 18-Jun-02, joe@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Physically yes - CDs are much smaller (and lighter!) than a set of
> > 78s, especially a large set. We have all carted cartons of 78s
> > around.......
>
> >> There's no reason to expect a digital transfer to take up much less
> > storage space than an analog original.
>
> I mean, there's no reason in principle. Two CDs would take up more space
> than a cassette, but of course less than a pile of 78s.
>
> Regards
> --
> Don Cox
> doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Space is not the real issue. Digital information is normally formatted
together with very powerful error correction data enabling faithful
recovery of information after long periods of archival storage. This is
not possible with analog tape and disks.

Jerry
Media Sciences

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html