Re: arsclist Kodak is stopping CD-R manufacture !?

At 07:24 PM 3/12/2002 -0600, Parker Dinkins wrote:
on 3/12/02 1:16 PM, Jeff Carroll wrote:

> I know that some, if not most, CD manufacturing plants do not guarantee the
> playability of discs that exceed the Red Book standard. --JC

No CD manufacturing plant would violate any Red Book standard without
risking their license from Sony/Philips to manufacture CDs.

AFAIK, the theoretical maximum recording time under the Red Book standard is
approximately 79:58.

Although the policy varies by plant, some CD pressing plants require
waivers, extra fees and/or extra time to group similar orders (overlength
CDs require a tighter pitch angle for the cutter). What constitutes an
overlength CD varies by plant, and some don't even make that distinction.

My understanding is that the maximum length in the standard is 74 minutes. The maximum value which can be entered in the ATIP is 79:59:74, but such an "80-minute" disc uses all the slack allowed for manufacturing tolerances in the pitch of the spiral. In practice, modern hardware can usually handle a still tighter pitch so there are blanks manufactured for recording 90, 95 and even 99 minutes. There are writers, programs and players which will handle those discs, but as the person responsible for pressing my discs makes clear, as soon as one exceeds 74 minutes, playback failure rates rise steeply. He will press a longer disc - up to 79:59:74, but only if I sign up to that understanding and assume responsibility.

Mike

mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/