Re: arsclist Kodak is stopping CD-R manufacture !?

on 3/12/02 11:36 PM, Mike Richter wrote:

> At 07:24 PM 3/12/2002 -0600, Parker Dinkins wrote:

> My understanding is that the maximum length in the standard is 74 minutes.

Based on my discussions with various plants, it is not possible to record
more than +/-79:58 without violating Red Book standards. These standards
govern the geometry of the recordable area as well as the linear velocity,
thus solving the equation for maximum recording time becomes a mathematical
problem, whose solution comes in just under 80:00.

Whether and at what points a CD becomes non-standard for cutting purposes
(up to +/- 79:59) depends on the hardware in use at a particular plant, and
their policy. One very large plant has no such restrictions at all, based on
my telephone conversations with them. Another slightly smaller plant will
not manufacture anything exceeding +/-77:00, period, and their fees escalate
after 74:xx.

You are absolutely correct about potential problems on longer CDs, but these
problems have generally existed because older players often couldn't ramp up
enough speed (CDs are read inside -> out) to read the table of contents
before timing out, or possibly the tighter inside diameter caused problems
for them.

I just want to stress that CDs that exceed 74:xx (up to +/- 79:59) are made
at the discretion of the particular plant, using equipment and skills they
possess. There is no uniform, industry-wide policy, except that no plant
will make a CD exceeding +/- 79:59 without running the risk of losing their
license to manufacture CDs.

> The maximum value which can be entered in the ATIP is 79:59:74, but such an
> "80-minute" disc uses all the slack allowed for manufacturing tolerances in
> the pitch of the spiral. In practice, modern hardware can usually handle a
> still tighter pitch so there are blanks manufactured for recording 90, 95
> and even 99 minutes. There are writers, programs and players which will
> handle those discs, but as the person responsible for pressing my discs
> makes clear, as soon as one exceeds 74 minutes, playback failure rates rise
> steeply. He will press a longer disc - up to 79:59:74, but only if I sign
> up to that understanding and assume responsibility.

---
Parker Dinkins                      CD Mastering + Audio Restoration
MasterDigital Corporation               http://www.masterdigital.com

-
http://www.arsc-audio.org/arsclist.html
from the author of the post.