Re: arsclist When is a Dragon not a Dragon?

Hi, Graham.

There is one Nakamichi Dragon component cassette deck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1335885394

has some reasonable pictures (it's black on black).

This is the one we're discussing.

Anything that is a "Dragon Head" is a car player and while at least one has auto azimuth, my understanding is that they don't work quite as well as the original Dragon.

Unfortunately, Nakamichi has now applied their "Dragon" name to other top-of-the-line CD products that I know nothing about--adding to the confusion. If there's a model number, it's the wrong Dragon.

Oh, and all those knobs on the front are bias and eq for different types of tape. You set it yourself with internal test oscillators for recording.

Also, don't be misled--the Dragon is auto-reverse PLAY only and the head is a 4-track head so it only moves to adjust azimuth not to switch sides like (I think) ALL other auto-reverse cassette decks.

Graham, I'd love to see you get a Dragon for what you do. The other Nak Factory Service Depot is in Syracuse, I think, and that's nearer to you--tho a longer drive than Long Beach for me! And I'm not sure if the Long Beach Freeway/I-5 or the QEW is more insane!

Cheers,

Richard