Re: arsclist Turntables

Gerard Kleist
Preservation Services
National Archives of Australia
Locked Bag 4,  120 Miller Road
Chester Hill NSW 2162
Telephone: 02 9645 0144
<gerardk@xxxxxxxxxx> said to the ARSCList...

> Can ayone recommend a good turntable?? The only decent ones I can find are
> the Stanton STR8-60, and the Technics SL-1200MK2.

Look for a Technics SP-15.  It is probably one of the best for transfer
purposes.  It is three speeds, has .1% incremental pitch adjustment over
a +/- 9.9% range, and when equipped with an SME-3012-R arm, appropriate
cartridge and selection of styli, I would put it up against ANYTHING else.

You do not need the Audio-Phool high end equipment or cartridges... they are
only designed to separate the gullible from their money!  You don't need a
laser turntable either... any owner of one will tell you why... the problems
include:-

... won't track a warped record
... won't read anything other than a solid black disc
... repairs require it being returned to the manufacturer
... and many other fiddley issues, making it generally more painful
    than useful.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.
-