Re: arsclist Particle transfer rollers

From:           	"W. Mark Ritchie" <ritchpat@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:             	<ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject:        	arsclist Particle transfer rollers
Date sent:      	Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:25:10 -0400
Send reply to:  	ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Has anyone had experience using particle transfer rollers to remove
> surface grime from 1/4" audiotape prior to dubbing?
>
> I'm particularly concerned about any effects the "stickyness" of the
> rollers had on the tape after rewind.

----- I do not believe that there is any transfer of material from roller
to surface-to-be cleaned, unless the roller "wets" the surface better
than itself. As long as there is particulate matter on the tape there
is no problem, but if you tear off the entire deposit of magnetic
material, so that the foil is bared, and if the foil has not been micro-
roughened, then adhesion could transfer sticky stuff from the roller.
But then you are not rewinding a recording anyway.

Kind regards,

George Brock-Nannestad
Preservation Tactics