Re: arsclist Turntable Base

On 17-Aug-01, Mark Shakarjian wrote:
> Hi,
>  I wanted to throw out a question to the masses to see what opinions
> are. I'm putting together a turntable as my archival setup. I'm using
> a Technics SP-15 and an SME 3012. I'm trying to decide what material
> to make the base from. I've been tossing around marble, granite and
> particle board. Any comments?

It's the rubber that makes the difference. Anything reasonably heavy and
stiff will do for the hard stuff, but it has to be mounted on rubber so
as to absorb almost all vibrations and have a very low natural
frequency.

I have the actual plinth (of a Garrard 401) rubber mounted to a frame
which is then supported on a softly inflated inner tube of the size used
in a small car/automobile.

Playing of 78s is more affected by vibration than playing of vinyl.

The SME arm also benefits from a very thin line of silicone rubber along
its under side. This damps the resonance of the arm itself and cleans up
the sound a bit. Silicone rubber in tubes is sold as bath sealer etc.

A musical instrument is a device for exploiting resonant frequencies,
and an audio reproducing system is the opposite.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx