Re: arsclist Urgent: Search for Schnabel piano roll transcription

Dr. Martin Elste                         Tel.(+49-30) 254 81-132
Staatliches Institut f. Musikforschung   Fax (+49-30) 254 81-172
Preussischer Kulturbesitz (SIMPK)
Tiergartenstr. 1
D-10785 Berlin                   E-Mail: elste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Martin Elste wrote:

> The Berlin Museum of Musical Instruments will be presenting a recital of
> Artur Schnabel performing by means of Welte reproduction rolls on the newly
> restored Steinway-Welte on 9 September 2001 as part of the International
> Artur Schnabel Symposion by the State Institute for Music Research and the
> Akademie der Künste Berlin.
> In this concert we would love to play the following Ampico roll played by
> Schnabel and transferred on LP Klavier: KS 134:
> Johann Sebastian Bach, Italian Concerto F major BWV 971
> (Ampico piano rolls nos. 62721, 62733, 62741)

I consulted a friend who is an expert on reproducing piano rolls and he has
suggested the following:-

Harold L. Powell (last known address in North Hollywood California) owned
Klavier, and used to sell the classical Ampico reproduction rolls.  He
probably had the Schnabel rolls you are looking for, and could probably
assist.  Try the following InterNet search to locate him.

http://adp.infousa.com/fs/consumer.htm

Otherwise, look at Keystone Music Rolls in Bethlehem PA.  They apparently
have an internet site and are believed to have bought the Klavier records.
They could probably directly supply what you need.

http://www.keystonemusicroll.com/

Some appropriate InterNet search-engine queries should produce leads to
other possible sources.

... Graham Newton

World class professional services applied to phonograph and tape
recordings for consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR processes.