Re: arsclist CD-R compatibility with various CD burners

on 5/17/01 1:48 PM, Brian Levy wrote:

> I wanted to ask for some recommendations from people who unlike myself are
> using CD Testers.  At Kiwat Hasinay we don't yet have grant monies to
> purchase a tester, but plan to, as per advice of a few participants on
> these lists.

We use the StageTech EC2, and have been pleased with it. There are other
manufacturers of CD testers.

> In the meantime, could I please get some recommendations for
> which _specific_ CD burners seem to perform best with which blank
> media.

We've used Taiyo Yuden for several years with good results. TY invented the
recordable CD, and supplied Sony for a while.

There are actually three variables: 1) CDR media, 2) recording speed, and 3)
CD recorder. To illustrate how these these three variables interact, point
your browser to

http://www.digido.com/chart.html

Although the information is now dated, you'll get the idea.

> Right now we are using only Kodak gold (and soon, due to
> discontinued supplies, gold-silver, as discussed a few months ago on this
> list) CD-R's, using computer grade ones, and also Consumer Audio ones.  We
> use a Plextor 8x4x32 internal ATAPI burner for our computer grade burns,
> and also make use of a Harmon Kardon CDR-2 stand-alone burner (which does
> CDR duplications at 1 or 2 or 4x speed) for consumer audio media.  As I
> understand it, there is no archival difference that anyone has mentioned on
> this list between computer-grade and consumer audio media.

Later. Parker

---
Parker Dinkins                      CD Mastering + Audio Restoration
MasterDigital Corporation               http://www.masterdigital.com