Re: arsclist Wranitzky's Oberon

Dear Dr. Jan:

Checking through our holdings as well as those on our national data bases,
I was not able to find a recording of the complete opera, but when I
checked the Internet, I found a listing for a recording that has two arias
from "Oberon". The title of the album is: GERMAN ROMANTIC ARIAS, and it is
on the Beaux label, number 051. It features Cornelia Much as the soprano
and Jansug Kakhidze as the conductor of the Tbilisi Symphony Orchestra. The
two arias are: Arie der Titania "Hor, o Gottheit Meine Klagen" and Arie der
Amande "Wo bist du, Wonne Meines Lebens". The website address where I found
this recording is:
http://www.greatmusic.co.uk/index.html?target=classicalbeaux.html .

I hope this information will prove helpful, even though it is not the
complete opera.

Sincerely,

Sara Velez

Sara Velez
Assistant Chief
Rodgers & Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
521 West 43rd St.
New York, N.Y. 10036
phone: 212-870-1662
fax: 212-870-1720
e-mail: svelez@xxxxxxxx

                    Don Cox
                    <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:     ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    >                             cc:
                    Sent by:                      Subject:     Re: arsclist Wranitzky's Oberon
                    owner-ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx
                    hester.edu

                    05/17/2001 06:15 PM
                    Please respond to
                    ARSCLIST

On 17-May-01, Dr. Steven Jan wrote:
> Dear List Members,
>
> I wonder if anyone might be able to help me with a query. I'm trying
> to determine if a recording has ever been made of the opera Oberon,
> König der Elfen (Oberon, King of the Elves) (1789) by Paul Wranitzky
> (1756-1808), a contemporary of Mozart.
>
> I've tried the London National Sound Archive and they cannot trace any
> recordings of the work. It's a long shot, but does anyone know of a
> recording, or can anyone suggest where I might try looking next?

A live recording was broacast on BBC Radio 3 some time in the early 1980s.

IIRC it was from a performance given at a music festival in Germany.

I taped about 30 minutes of it, but the tape was lost in a burglary some
years ago.  Very likely the original tape will still exist either at the
BBC or some other radio station.

I've always remembered that broadcast as the opera was highly enjoyable.
Please let me know if you find a recording.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx