Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item

unit tools

The various finishing tools which have some device or design cut on the end of a brass shank. They are used separately or in conjunction with each other, as well as with line tools to form patterns. They may be "solid" or "line" in form, and when meant to be used by hand, generally do not exceed 3/4 by 3/1 inch in size; otherwise they become very difficult to use. A larger tool meant to be used in a press or blocking device, is more appropriately called a STAMP (2) . Unit tools range in complexity from a simple dot to very intricate lacelike designs. The use of unit tools has declined in recent years, primarily because of the different conception of design prevailing today, but the same principle of building patterns from separate tools in still valid. (66 , 161 )

[Search all CoOL documents]