Bookbinding and the Conservation of Books
A Dictionary of Descriptive Terminology

 Previous item  Up One Level Next item


1. A bookbinding having a panel sunk or depressed below the surface of the covering material, and designed to take an inlay, label, or the like. 2. A type of WATERMARK produced by pressing down the woven cover or face of either a mold or dandy roll. Also called "intaglio" (2). (12,156 )

[Search all CoOL documents]