Quilts

Hello all

I am needing some information on displaying historic quilts. We have some quilts a faculty member would like to include in an exhibit. Problem being some of the quilts are in very bad condition, e.g. shredding, crushed silk. Even a slantboard doesn't seem like it would suffice, since some of the shredded silk is on the backing. I would prefer the quilts not go on display at all, however, that decision may not be up to me.

Is there anything than can be done to stabilize the quilts so they can safely be exhibited?
Someone has mentioned the possibility of netting, but I'm not too familiar.

I am also open to more reasons in defense of not allowing the quilts to be part of the exhibit. My general statement that they are damaged and display may further harm them doesn't seem to be convincing enough.

Thank you in advance,
Diana