Exhibiting vertically a very heavy embroidered textile in a museum gallery

Dear All

I need to prepare a very heavy textile for a long term, museum environment, vertical hanging.
Its weight (aprox. 45kg) and its dimensions (approx 200cm x 290cm) makes it very challenging for me. It is a metal thread embroidery on silk that is weak to support the whole weight of the textile for the purpose I just described.

Apart from preparing a Hexalite board or a wooden stretcher covered with aluminium panels (made to measure for us from carpenters locally) stitching around all embroidered areas on a very well tensioned support textile over a wadding or polyfelt support underneath, is there any other 'system' or method anyone has experience with for such a large and heavy textile?

Many thanks for your time and help.

Konstantinos Chatziantoniou
Textile & Paper Conservator
Museum of Islamic Art
Al Corniche
Doha
Qatar
email: khatziantoniou@xxxxxxxxxx
Tel: +974 6980254

Get fish-slapping on Messenger! Play Now