Display of costume idea

Our exhibitions department has come up with an idea to display two mannequin mounted costumes on rotating turntables for an upcoming costume exhibition. At this time, I haven’t received a lot of information from the designer other than the turntables she has investigated can rotate 1.5 to 2 rpm, and that she would like to mount them on top of the exhibit platform rather than flush. I don’t even know which costumes she would like to exhibit on the turntables so I can’t speak to condition yet.  I will meet with her later in the week. Before that time, I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts on this “novel” exhibit idea as it’s one I have never come across. I am especially interested in hearing about potential problems/issues involved with such an idea (e.g. vibration, etc).  The exhibit is to run 8 months.

Holly Lundberg
Conservator
(312) 799-2069 direct, (312) 799-2369 fax
lundberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chicago History Museum
1601 North Clark Street
Chicago, IL 60614-6038