Re: Exhibiting vertically a very heavy embroidered textile in a museum gallery

Dear K Hatziantoniou

First of all I have pleasure e-mailing you from Athens. I conserved more historical textiles and carpets in The Islamic Art Museum in Cairo- Egypt, and in Faculty of archeology museum -Egypt. One step from this work exhibition. for exhibiting vertically a heavy nan embroidered textiles and carpets I created a new metallic frame which has more advantages. after that Fixing the rings to the metallic after making pores in the frame. A linen support was used after supporting the edges which were perforated. then, rings were fixed on this perforation for easy stretching on the metallic. the final step is fixing the textile on the linen support.

A part from this work was presented as paper in Interim Meeting ICOM Conservation Committee - Athens- Greece- 2004. E-mail included some photos for this frame, Generally this method was very suitable for a heavy nan embroidered textiles that I conserved before.

accept my best wishes

sincerely

Harby E. Ahmed