Re: Silicone mannequins

The showcases the silicone mannequins will be displayed in are Netherfield's. They are very well sealed with, you  guessed it, silicone rubber seals.

Since posting, I have been able to speak to the manufactures of the mannequins and have started an Oddy test.  The manufactures are happy to use an addition cure silicone instead of condensation cure silicone. My understanding is that addition sure silicone does not have the same off gassing issues as condensation cure silicone. They are also willing to not include any silicone oil in the production of the mannequins, this is usually added for flexibility and can leach out over time. And finally the addition cure silicone are painted with pigments mixed with the silicone rather than oil paints.  All good news.

The Oddy test on the condensation cure silicone has been running for about four weeks now.  We have some white corrosion appearing on the lead tokens, which has not been identified as yet. The silver and copper tokens remain untarnished.

Sarah Clayton

Senior Textile Conservator
Australian War Memorial
PO Box 345
Canberra ACT 2601
Australia
phone: +61 2 62434420
fax: +61 2 62417998
sarah.clayton@xxxxxxxxxx
www.awm.gov.au
>>> Mary Montgomery <mary.montgomery@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 28/03/2007 4:43 am >>>
I would think that the situation could also be affected by how well or poorly the cases are ventilated.

Mary Montgomery
Museum of History & Industry, Seattle