Re: Silicone mannequins

The Australian War Memorial is considering using silicone heads and hands attached to Ethafoam mannequins to display uniforms, inside showcases.  Has anybody had experience with displaying textiles on silicon based mannequins long term, i.e. 10 years or more? The silicon being used is a condensation cure silicon, which potentially off gases water, ethanol or hydrochloric acid. I am of course concerned about the hydrochloric acid, and an also concerned about the painted surface, which is a combination of roofing silicone and oil paints. Can anybody tell me if there are effects on the curing of the oil paint or silicone when the two are combined?

Sarah Clayton

Senior Textile Conservator
Australian War Memorial
PO Box 345