Re: Nilfisk Information

I have another option to offer.  I purchased a Fein shop vac which Museum Services then retrofitted with the 10 amp controller Peter mentioned in his email.  When the controller burned out, I had to replace it at my own expense, buying the part from Grainger.  After it burned out a second time shortly afterward I gave up and contacted an electrical engineer.  He told me that the 10 amp controller is too close to the 9.something draw of the Fein vac and this is why it burned out - it is too small (so would it be big enough for a Nilfisk?).  He suggested I buy a used "variac" on ebay - it's a powerful controller that you plug the vacuum into.  I did this, and it works beautifully.  The drawback is that it's somewhat big and heavy which limits your mobility.  But you can plug any vacuum into it and it really works.  I have since purchased a Nilfisk which has one great advantage because it is so quiet.  But if the controller goes I'll be using the variac with it.

Deborah Bede
Stillwater Textile Conservation Studio, LLC
Bradford, NH 03221
(603) 938-2310
(603) 938-2455 fax
stillwaterstudio@xxxxxxxxxxx