Nilfisk Information

I contacted Peter Mecklenburg at Museum Services Corporation regarding recent concerns about Nilfisk vacuums.  He gave me permission to post his reply (see below).  Should anyone wish to contact him directly his email is pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,
Rebekah Njaa

The new Niflisk vacuum cleaner that I have explored, the ATTIX 550-2M is a lot more powerful than the older model.  It might have potential for suction tables but maybe not for textile cleaning purposes.

Nilfisk's variable speed controller on its "old" units is an off the shelf power controller from Grainger's (pn 4X797-6 motor controller  115 VAC/ 50/60 Hz 10 amp). We use the same item on our single motor MSC Control Consoles.  It is relative easy and inexpensive to replace if it burns up.  I would pass the word that the old units will be fine as long as replacement power controllers are available from other sources like Graingers.  MSC replaced them in the past and is available to do so for those needing this service.  As long as the same power controller is replaced, no changes in UL listings are necessary.

Tiger-vac vacuum cleaners, (which I like more because of its power and flexibility) use a different power controller, in that it has a larger cooling sink for the electronics which do the power control.  It is also off the shelf, readily available and relatively inexpensive.

The best motor controller is the one we use on our dual motor MSC Control Consoles.  It has full motor control from low to high but it can burn out as the paper conservators at the Met will testify.   The price has dropped on this unit and it is now relatively inexpensive.

I hope this information helps.  Please contact me with any questions.  Drop by when you're in the neighborhood.

Regards,

Peter Mecklenburg
MuseuM Services Corporation