dry rot

       Perhaps the chemists here can help me.
       The term dry rot is creeping into the textile lexicon -- some
dealers use the words to describe fabric which is shedding or
disintegrating from minerals, exposure and bad storage, etc..
       Some of us believe that dry rot is a fungus which attacks timber
and vegetables, but not cloth.
       Can someone set the record straight so the next time we hear dry
rot in connection with textiles we can either  counter with a correct
reply or keep quiet.