Re: The Cleveland Museum of Art / Position announcement

you may want to edit the message you've sent !

>>> texconserv@xxxxxxxxxxxx 03/19/02 06:13am >>>
Sounds like a drone position. Like all the stuff Jim and Joan hate to do.
Wonder where they finally found money for that? I could not even get a
computer..... Karen. PS You should come a visit. You can hand pick a few
textiles if you like. I am going back to school! Enough retail experience
for me. PS I miss you. Karen
----- Original Message -----
From: "Heather Weisenseel" <hweisenseel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <TEXCONS@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 12:33 PM
Subject: The Cleveland Museum of Art / Position announcement

> Textile Conservation Technician
> The Cleveland Museum of Art
>
> The Cleveland Museum of Art is a fine arts museum with an encyclopedic
> collection of 35,000-40,000 objects, including roughly 4,500 textiles.
The
> Museum's conservation department (consisting of six full-time
conservators,
> three conservation fellows, and four support staff) includes labs for
> paintings, paper, objects, and textile conservation.  The Textile
> Conservation Technician is a member of the conservation department and
> reports to the Assistant Conservator of Textiles.  The textile
conservation
> department also works closely with curatorial departments, specifically
the
> Department of Textiles and Islamic art.
>
> The Museum is seeking a Textile Conservation Technician to work with the
> Assistant Conservator of Textiles.  Primary responsibilities involve using
> archival materials to rehouse the textile collection and include
> constructing boxes and developing containers to suit specific storage
needs,
> cutting mats and mounting textile objects in mats as appropriate, and
> developing prototypes of mounts to suit specific display requirements.
Also
> responsible for developing and implementing housekeeping plan for
galleries,
> with emphasis on textile objects and objects having textile component.
> Technician assists Textile Conservator as needed, including monitoring the
> physical care and well-being of the textile collection while in storage
and
> on display, inventorying tools, supplies and equipment, and recommending
> purchases to the Textile Conservator, and assisting with handling and
> mounting projects as assigned.
>
> Other responsibilities include transporting textiles to and from
photography
> department and facilitating photography of the textile collection, and
> stitching permanent accession number tape to textile objects requiring
such
> and assisting Registrar with placing permanent painted numbers on
> contemporary fiber art objects or other textile objects requiring such.
> Assists Textile Conservator and Curator with placing textile objects in
and
> removing objects from storage.  Monitors light levels of textile objects
or
> objects with textile components on display in the galleries.  Monitors
light
> levels of loan exhibitions that include textile objects or objects with
> textile components to ensure that they meet the stipulations of loan
> contracts.  As needed, examines textiles entering the building,
particularly
> new acquisitions, for signs of insect infestation.  As required, oversees
> the packing and unpacking of textile objects to be loaned to other
> institutions.  Prepares monthly schedule of work and reviews with textile
> conservator.  Acts as courier accompanying works of art to and from other
> institutions as needed.
>
> Qualifications:  Bachelor's degree in fine arts or art history (BA or
BFA),
> including coursework in art techniques, from four-year college or
> university; one to three years related experience and/or training; or
> equivalent combination of education and experience.  Must have good
> organizational, communication, and word processing skills.  Should be
> familiar with the procedures, materials, tools and techniques used in
> creating and caring for works of art, especially as related to textiles.
> Must have a sensitivity and aptitude to handle works of art, especially
> delicate textiles.  Must have an understanding of carpentry techniques,
> museum design and basic chemistry.  Must be able to use a mat cutter, hand
> tools, scalpels, tweezers, needles, power tools including a sewing
machine,
> light meter, psychrometer, ultra-violet lamp, and microscope.
>
> The position is available immediately; a complete job description is
> available on request.  Applicants should submit via mail, fax, or e-mail,
> resume and cover letter, by April 12, 2002, to:
> Heather Weisenseel
> Human Resources
> The Cleveland Museum of Art
> 11150 East Boulevard
> Cleveland, OH  44106
> fax:  216/421-0277
> hweisenseel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> The salary and benefits are competitive.  The Museum is an AA/EOE.  More
> information at <URL:http://www.clevelandart.org>

This email is confidential and intended exclusively for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Historic Royal Palaces or Historic Royal Palaces Enterprises Ltd. If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this email or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and then delete the message and any attachments from your system.
This message has been checked before being sent for all known viruses by Sophos AntiVirus software. However please note that no responsibility for viruses is taken and it is your responsibility to scan this message and any attachments.
Historic Royal Palaces and Historic Royal Palaces Enterprise Limited reserve the right to monitor e-mails in accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.
Historic Royal Palaces is a registered charity (No 1068852), correspondence details, Hampton Court Palace, Surrey KT8 9AU

Historic Royal Palaces Enterprises Ltd, a company registered in England  (No 3418583) registered office Hampton Court Palace, Surrey KT8 9AU