Painted exhibition walls

Patricia Cox Crews
> International Quilt Study Center
> University of Nebraska-Lincoln
> pcrews@xxxxxxx

? What is current thinking about the length of time that should be
allowed for off-gasing after painting gallery walls,
before installing textiles in the space?

ANSWER : It depends...
If it is an enclosed case with limited air passage then 6 weeks min.is
recommended for any paint.
If it is walls with stancion guards then a muslin lining is suggested.
The State of IN & I worked out a solution with reusable sectional
velcro stretchers.  4' X 8/12'.   They were covered with velcro cloth
then they allowed paint fumes from the wall to dissipate during the
exhibit.  We could also do a "kick-out" or slant board display.  This
requires the stretchers to have a hinge device.  Then we chose 6"/ 8"
or 12-15" out at the bottom.  If I was lucky I could get a 2' support
but that is a fragile condition issue.
The paints all as rated according to the ACS/ American Chemist society
require long drying times. 4-6 weeks....
alkyd with 4 week minimum, latex less time but more fumes, ...
lining is the best option. Just tack muslin at the top & leave loose.

CCI/ Canadian Conservation Inst.,  Terreault
"Measuring the Acidity of Volatile Products" is the best reference.
I have no preferred brand, except Latex is the absolute shortest time
but it needs a 2 week minimum with extreme leaching acidity tests up
until that time.  Paint drying time is to the touch not for leaching.
Jennifer Hein
Preventive Consultant,
Leather & Textiles, Indianapolis, IN
jhein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx