Re: muslin for storage

For small Museums and private Collections we usually use unbleached wide
cotton fabrics, unsized (as they are sold e.g. for theatre drops). They are
relatively cheap and - if used to wrap around several times - offer quite
good dust protection.
If thorough dust protection is needed, we use cotton down cambric (normally
used for feather pillows), a lightweight but very dense cotton fabric. It
only comes bleached and is rather expensive, but great.
For very low tech solutions we often make e.g. churches collect white cotton
bed sheets, have them washed once with a detergent without perfume ore
bleaching agents (they can be bought in health- or oeco-shops in Europe as
part of a modular washing-solution system and are much more easily available
than real conservation degree detergents, even though essentialy similar),
and then washed again without any additives. This is a virtually free
solution as far as materials are concerned.

I don't think that - in Switzerland - we worry much about the *grade* of
cotton. Its much more the finishes that bother us. There are lots of
flame-proof, ready-for-printing-, anti-crincle-, etc. finishes; but we also
get quite a wide range of non-treated cotton fabrics nowadays. Why do you
worry about the grade? Because of the inclusion of heavy metals in the
cellulose? That is - as far as I know - a general problem nowadays when
growing cotton and not really connected to the grade?

I hope these remarks are of some help to your work.
Sincerely, Karin

Karin von Lerber
Prevart GmbH - Konzepte für die Kulturgütererhaltung
Oberseenerstrasse 93
CH-8405 Winterthur
Tel. +41 (0)52-233 12 54
Fax +41 (0)52-233 12 57